Heating Systems for Your San Antonio Home
Every day, Tex-Perts Cooling & Heating helps homeowners make choices that keep them more comfortable. Sometimes, these are small decisions that make a big difference, like upgrading an older thermostat to one that works with your Wi-Fi and an app on your phone. Other times, the decision is a much more serious one. Selecting a new heating system can be tough, and it requires careful thought and consideration. You must have a system that is the right size for your home, but you can let a trusted technician handle this part. What’s most important, first and foremost, is that you select the right type of heating system for your home. But you may need a little information about what’s out there first, and why you might choose one type of heating system over another.
Do some research
First, you’ll want to look at the types of heating systems available for your property. In many cases, it’s best to replace a heater with the same type (i.e. replacing a boiler with a boiler, replacing a central furnace with a furnace), but there are some exceptions. Get to know the types of heating systems available in your area.
Option 1: Gas furnace
Of any whole-house heating system in the United States, the natural gas furnace is the one you will find more often in most locations. These use your natural gas lines for fuel. Combustion takes place within a heat exchanger, and warm air moves through the ductwork in your home after it passes the heat exchanger.
You may choose a gas furnace for your new heating installation in San Antonio for the following reasons:
- Today’s furnaces have higher efficiencies than ever before.
- Gas furnaces are typically less expensive to run than electric furnaces due to the high cost of using electricity.
- Gas furnaces are also safer than they have ever been, and safer still if you have routine inspections.
- You won’t have to worry about refueling, and you probably won’t run into many problems with your heater if it is properly installed and maintained.
Option 2: Electric furnace
Electric furnaces are less common in colder parts of the country, but we actually see a lot of them here in Texas. Here is why you may choose an electric furnace over a gas model in San Antonio:
- Electric furnaces tend to be the least expensive whole-house heating systems.
- You might value the safety and security that comes with using an electric heating system rather than natural gas combustion for heating.
- You don’t have a natural gas line running to your home.
- Monthly cost is not so much of a factor for you because you do not use the heat very often.
Option 3: Heat pump
A heat pump looks a lot like a conventional air conditioner. And that’s because—well—it is! It just has a few extra components that allow the system to heat your home as well. Refrigerant removes heat from a home’s air for cooling (which is how central AC works). But it reverses direction to bring heat in as well (even when it is very cold outside).
You may want a heat pump in San Antonio because…
- They typically cost less to run than other electric heating systems.
- You have central ductwork but no natural gas line.
- Their high efficiency ratings make them great for the environment.
- Having a single system for both air conditioning and heating is convenient for maintenance purposes.
For information on heating system options
When it comes down to choosing one of these heating systems, our best advice is to call our team at Tex-Perts Cooling & Heating. We’re happy to sit down with you, and weigh the pros and cons of each of these heating systems.